Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Day Two

Quote of the Day:  The tensest moment of the day was mile 60 when Ryan took off.
 -Jack

I initiated what would become a daily ritual reading of Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian.  As Peter says, it's difficult enough that i'm a woman, but the fact that i'm the sort of woman i am, well, makes it pretty astonishing that these guys hang out with me.  But that's what Peter says, and he has an magnified view of my insanity. I suggested that only a genius would use a word like selfsame.  Jack (and i think a few others agreed) that only a pompous idiot would use such a word.  Thus begins day 2 of the gogebic 6 ride north.
We do have a gentle discussion over the potential imbalances in each of our family dynamic.  Is it, after all, excessive to request that our spouses drive 400 miles to celebrate what to many people is a 4 day celebration of self centered narcissism and avoidance?  This conversation strand carries us through the week.
We were on our bikes at the agreed upon time, or as close as we came in 4 days.  Stop #1: pee in bushes.  Stop #2: pee in bushes.   Sort of broke down whatever barriers we had up until now.  When i'm with the guys in suburbia, i usually insist we go to a gas station for toilet.  I guess i never gave much thought to the fact that guys on bikes take even less care to create some form of privacy when riding or running in the wide open.  Go figure.  I was still looking for a respectable shelter of growth, but hell, i've been out riding alone a  lot in my life and wait between the semi-trucks to take a pee.

We stopped for lunch at mile 54. Madonna AND Journey were played on the radio and I knew we were in vacationland.  Jack, during this trip, discovered some new apps on his i-phone and i learned that some of my companions are as attached to their electronic devices as Peter is.  Boys will be boys...
Day 2 proved to be just long enough to have some near breakdowns and arguments on the road. Lucky we've all been practicing our "I" statements for so many years.  It was all laid to rest over beer and dinner, as all disputes should be.   Somewhere early during day two I learned that Mike's major goal of the day was to make sure that Karen finished the whole thing, rather than catching a ride in Green Bay.  That vote of confidence pushed me over the edge and by the time we were rolling into GB at about 3:30 I knew I was in for the long haul. 
John Ryan announced (over nachos and beer) at the coaches corner, that his goal is to get on Ave's list. Mike and Eligio's families met us in GB at the Holiday Inn.  We all sort of split up and decompressed as best we could.  Half way there, but rather tired, at least myself and the unencumbered three.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment